pondělí 16. ledna 2006

A Liberal Sexual Society

I declare myself a cultural conservative. That is, I think that the most valuable artwork and writings deal with human responsibility to supraindividual values. (Two recent examples are "Santini's Tongue" by Czech Milos Urban and 2001 Pullitzer Prize "The " by Michael Chabbon.) The culture of masters as written for us, plebs, should be both adventurous, thrilling, exciting, and deeply rooted in certain values. "Deconstruction" is, in my eyes, nothing but a synonymum for work "under hopeless construction". Echoing only individual needs, for example sexual ones, reveals sooner or later pretty dull and empty.

On the other hand, I would never promote certain culture by any general policy. Speaking on sexuality in particular, I find restrictions useless and often counter-productive. No, now I don't speak only about abuses by homosexual priests... I think of my childhood, late 80s, when sexuality was behind a very thick cover. In spite of restrictions, there was a high dispersion of sexually transmitted diseases at that time. The age of the first intercourse was pretty low. And, most importantly, one could find the symbol of vagina on each and every corner.

After more than a decade of liberation, we have, as far as I know, a lower rate of sexually transmitted diseases. The age when youngsters begin to live sexually has not dropped, rather the opposite. And the vagina symbol moved into the theatre (recall Vagina Monologues) where it found the audience of frustrated female singles.

A liberal sexual society proves to be sexually more healthy. Cultural conservatives should also understand the price: people pay much more for sexually-related entertainment than on high culture.